Resident hall mold a growing concern for students

By Jason Allen

Staff reporter

Pictured above: An example of mold forming on the ceilings of a resident’s hall on campus. (Jason Allen/ Staff reporter)

Each year, we face maintenance issues on campus. These vary from the air conditioning system to broken furniture or even fungus issues.

This semester, many students experienced mold on walls and ceilings in Broadhurst Hall. The mold caused some people to become sick and experience fatigue.

Mold refers to fungi that grows in the form a multi-cellular thread-like structures called hypha. The symptoms of this bacteria can result in headaches, poor memory or even shortness of breath.

Jose Chatham, communication senior, said the mold made him become sick and nauseous.

“The smell was terrible and made me have headaches,” said Chatham.

Jimmy Holland, lead custodian and plant operations (Sodexo), has been making the mold issue a huge priority.

Anywhere moisture and air meet, then mold will start to form explained Holland.

“In the winter time or summer time, you always want to have ventilation in your room to prevent mold from forming,” said Holland. “If you see anything and it doesn’t look like paint on a wall, report it.”

Marvin Wilson, maintenance supervisor, said that the main priority on campus is power, comfort, and sanitary.

“On nice days, crack your window open for a couple hours because mold hates fresh air,” said Wilson. “Our ultimate goal is safety and comfort. Take advantage of fixit@sckans.edu because that what we are here for.”

The biggest concern I had was bats flying in the hallways,” said Marquis Hodge, accounting senior, and the RA in Broadhurst. “Now many students are worried about mold in their rooms”

Jason Allen is a senior majoring in sport management. You may email him at Jason.allen3@sckans.edu

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *